Wednesday 15 April 2015

Implementing GAFE and Technology across your Math Curriculum

Many new tools arrive on the internet scene, and we, as teachers, become overwhelmed with the, "Oh crud, this is awesome, but when and where am I going to implement it?"   I mean, many of us already have a list of 4 or 5 new things we want to show/teach.

And if you are primary/junior like myself, your implementation curve is different than those in the older grades.

So many of us are guilty of focusing on using the tools in our literacy class.  It is easy to teach planning using Google Draw, or writing using Documents.  Want to create a written report?  Use Presentations.

But what people don't realize is that we need to start implementing our technology into ALL of our subject areas.  But today, let's focus on MATH.

I recently stumbled across an idea from @alicekeeler that spoke about using a transparent protractor image in Google Draw.  Wait a minute...my students aren't using protractors.... BUT, we are doing measurement.  So what did I do?   Applied the same idea, but to transparent rulers.  Now my students can do measurement online.  So easy.  Find a copy here

Today I reintroduced the relationship between multiplication and division.  The kids then had to find an image, make the groups, and write the related division and multiplication statements.  One student went so far as to ScreenCastoMatic it (record and send it to me).  This little guy is a grade 3.  Amazing.  Here are some screen grabs.



I am just listing a couple of ideas here.  Using the GAFE tools, as well as combining them with other tools (ScreenCastoMatic), and Google Classroom, the sky is the limit and engagement is HUGE!!!!

I know I only really focused on the math piece here.  I will touch upon the Sciences and Social Science later....hopefully  :)

Have fun.  Read Alice's blogs below.  Lots of great advice and finally, enjoy my grade 3 student's video below.




Alice Keeler Blogs to read:
Transparent Protractor   
Things to Do in Math Using Google Classroom


No comments:

Post a Comment