Monday 25 May 2015

Google Sheets to draw....and get some math done

Once again, @AliceKeeler has dropped a gem onto my Twitter feed for me.

Her blog post this weekend was focused on using Google Sheets to create pixelated art.

This works out great because we just looked at a Minecraft image last week to discuss what fractions of the images, or characters were a certain colour.  I quickly created a very quick square-headed image, kind of resembling "Steve" and showed it to my class.



They had a quick and brief warm up about what fractions of colours they saw.  They extended it by saying this time, they could actually check their results because they could count the squares and figure out the fraction.  Last week, that couldn't be done with the image we looked at.  Awesome!!! Success.... Feelin' Good as a teacher!!!

So, then my mind got going.  What else can I do using this "grid" paper.


Well, let's look at area and perimeter.  I created a quick sample.  As usual, my mind went to how Assistive Tech users can use this.  I quickly created an area and perimeter task.  I included the equations at the bottom in merged cells, but it can easily be done in Snagit too.

Here is a link to a blank grid




No comments:

Post a Comment