Friday 29 May 2015

Introducing... SPACES... a nice little extension

What is Spaces?  It is a tab manager for Chrome.

How did I find it? I found it on a blog...can't remember what one, I've read so many.

How am I using it? I am using it to track, and keep "like" webpages in one common area.

How do I see my students using it? Maintaining research pages without losing them in the never-ending pit of doom called "Bookmarks"



Teacher Use

Ok, self-question and answer period is over.  Spaces is this amazing extension found here.  I looked at it, thought it could be good, but didn't realize the power it had.  Once I opened it and experimented with a few things, I fell in love.

First - Marking.   
I track my marks online.  I have created Google Sheet after Google Sheet.  It is a pain to open drive, then find reporting, then find subject, then find strand....UGH!

Solution:  Open them all in one window.  Save it to spaces under "Marking".  Problem solved.
Now, I only have to open the "Marking" tab in Spaces and there is my online mark book.  





This is what a Spaces main screen looks like.  You can see I have a space open title "May 26".  

My closed spaces are below.  You can see the Marking 2014-15 is there.  











Now, I have clicked on the closed spaces called "Marking 2014-15" and it shows on the right side my active windows within this tab.  If I want to reopen this space, all I have to do is click on the arrow within the box located in the green tool bar (top and centre).  



Student Use

One way to introduce students to Spaces is to show them that they can store their research pages on one "Space".  That way, when they are researching over an extended period of time, they can keep their webpages located in one easy to find space.  

Below is an example I shared with an intermediate co-worker.  We quickly Googled some Early Explorer research pages, and then saved the tab.  Now a student never has to worry about forgetting where he/she got the research, or wading through the murky depths of their bookmarks.  It can all be saved in one space.











No comments:

Post a Comment