Friday 15 May 2015

That moment where you see they get it

Today was one of those days that makes teaching great.  Thankfully, technology makes those days occur more than they used to in the "early" days of my career (it's only been 11 years).

I have one student in my class, where we've struggled with engagement and work completion.  I've talked about this student (student "A") a little bit before.  

Over the course of the year, "A" has shown glimpses of coming out of their shell, but prefers to keep to themselves.  "A" has a great sense of humour, and as "A" was allowed access to technology on a consistent basis, "A" has thrived.

"A's" stories have shown voice that others don't have yet.  

"A's" stories have shown creativity that others haven't shown yet.  

Other teachers who have taught "A" have been surprised when seeing this work.   "We didn't see that before," they'd say.

"A" now has consistent technology.  
"A" now has access to GAFE tools.  
"A" has access to coding, POWTOON and other online tools.
"A" has found an outlet to explain, explore and be creative.  
"A" is engaged. 
"A" feels safe, 
                      and "A" (although always a happy kid) is happier. 

Technology has allowed "A" and students alike, the chance to prove themselves.  Technology gives students the outlet that pencil and paper doesn't always offer.  I am so thankful to be teaching in an era where changes are constant.  It forces me to be on top of my "A" game (pun totally intended).  It allows me to change my approach, my routine and my thinking almost daily.  I love teaching, and I love it in this time and age.

And today was one of those days when I can drive away at 4pm feeling good.  Happy Long Weekend Ontario!!!!

Below are a few of the slideshows created by the student:

White Paper
The Dark
How to Animate

No comments:

Post a Comment